The Lego League
The Engagement Design Group focuses on products that make Amazon more personal and human, with the goal of inspiring our customers to find value beyond the cart. My team works across the organization to create visual strategies and scalable design systems for products and programs such as automated and organic social advertising, outbound communication platforms (email and push), and new products like Echo Look.
• Built a team of 9 in 4 months. As the business had immediate needs, I employed a multi-tiered recruiting scheme in which I simultaneously ran several different recruiting pipelines, on-boarded new team members, and worked with product stakeholders to solidify the team's roadmap.
• Delivered 12 visual systems, style-guides, and their associated creative content strategies to 9 teams and 3 departments across Amazon within the first 9 months of our team’s inception.
• Designed team charter, engagement models, and standard operating procedures. These mechanisms accelerate product development cycles through the creation of modular components designed to scale to multiple product and business scenarios.
Internally, my team calls ourselves the lego league which goes back to an article I send my teammates when they join the team - in this article the author talks about the needs of scaling, in a short time period. She sum’s it up by calling on people to give away their legos to grow their careers and keep pace with the needs of the business. “If you personally want to grow as fast as your company, you have to give away your job every couple months.” I found this to be a great analogy for what an Art Director have to do constantly with the systems they create - give away their legos, scale, grow with the product and create visual systems that at some point other people or machines can and will execute off of.
WHO ARE WE?
A group of 9 creative thinkers who have cross-fictional visual skills encompassing everything from photo art direction, systems thinking, branding and motion and video - just to name a few.
Sarah Roulston – Managing Art Director, CEAD
Jennifer Ingle – Managing Art Director, Social
Vinny Frye – Sr. Art Director
Sarah Sinclair– Art Director
Christopher Michon – Art Director
Khari Otto – Art Director
Casey Latiolais – Art Director, Motion
Jessica Hamilton – Art Director
Marla Moore – Art Director
Emma High – Associate Art Director
Some of the emerging themes and opportunities we are currently looking at across products:
- How do we create a visual system for global events that work across partners, categories and event locations?
- How do we make scalable, personalized, short videos that can work across social channels and the Amazon site?
- How do we create large amounts of beautiful social content
- How do we create a system that helps global email partners and automated systems create and send beautiful and accessible emails that are inline with the Amazon site experience?
- How do we create a unified iconography system for Amazon that can scale across products, experiences and locations?
Art Directors in CE create the visual systems/languages, and large-scaling collateral for high scope and high-impact products across CE and Amazon.